The Network of African National Human Rights Institutions (NANHRI) is a membership organization for African National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) registered as a legal entity under laws of the Republic of Kenya. NANHRI’s mission is to support, through national, sub‐regional, regional and international cooperation, the establishment and strengthening of NHRIs to more effectively undertake their mandate of human rights promotion, protection, monitoring and advocacy. Its vision is a continent with effective NHRIs, contributing to an enahnced human rights culture and justice for every African. NANHRI encourages and supports the establishment of strong and independent NHRIs in compliance with the Paris Principles.
NANHRI is currently seeking to recruit a Communications Officer to be based in its Secretariat office in Nairobi, Kenya. NANHRI hereby invites applications from individuals who are dynamic, self-starter, passionate about communication and proficient in creating engaging content for publication and dissemination to diverse human rights actors.
POSITION: COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Reports to: Programmes Manager
Location: Head Office
Duration: 12 months
Department: Finance & Administration
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To ensure effective, creative and professional communication with diverse human rights actors inclduing NHRI’s (membership), civil society organizations, states and other international and regional human rights actors.
- Contribute to development and implemention of communication and public relations strategies for NANHRI aimed at branding the institution and increasing its visibility.
- Conduct media monitoring, analyze data and package it into user-friendly, easy-to-read format.
- Generate content, edit, co-ordinate and publish all in-house publications.
- Contribute to planning of NANHRI’s events in regards to design and production of information, education and communication (IEC) materials.
- Seek for legal advise on technical human rights and legal content aspects of all public communications, and generally on developments in the field of human rights.
- Ensure contact databases are up-to-date.
- Develop advocacy materials aimed at influencing the human rights agenda at different levels and contributing to change in policies, laws and adminstrative regulations.
- Manage and update the NANHRI website and social media sites in conjunction with the Programmes Department.
- Serve as the liaison person for all press and media enquiries, and prepare press releases, information notes, written material for dissemination to local, national and international media.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor’s Degree in either Linguistics, Journalism, Marketing or Communications; in a business related field
- A Masters degree is an advantage, but not required
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a similar position
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word and Excel etc) and web-based management systems
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to express ideas clearly, visually and in writing, and communicate to a diverse audience;
- Fluency in written and spoken English language, with French being an added advantage;
- Ability to manage communities interested in human rights or related issues;
- Ability to coordinate and research new content for generating captivating publications and world class documents;
- Experience in tailoring materials to various audiences and channels including blogs, online forums and social media channels;
- Experience in the use of content management systems and social media management tools;
- Strong social media skills;
- Good organisational skills; a team player and flexible towards adjusting priorities; and
- Strong interpersonal and inter-cultural skills and sensitivities.
If you possess the above qualities for the position, please send your application strictly by Email clearly indicating the position on the subject matter of the email together with a cover letter and detailed C.V, a daytime telephone contact, and names and contacts of three referees to reach us by 9th June 2017 to:
Network of African National Human Rights Institutions
Lenana Road, CVS Plaza, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 74359‐00200
With a copy to