The African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights
NANHRI, in full appreciation of the importance of the African Human Rights System, continuously seeks to enhance the interface between African NHRI's and the Regional Human Rights mechanisms and more so the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights.
- In 2009, NANHRI conducted a study on the Role of NHRIs in strengthening the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
- In 2011, NANHRI hosted a seminar for NHRIs on identifying National Implementation Mechanisms to follow up and implement Decisions of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights at the UN Conference Centre, Addis Ababa.
- In 2012, on the margins of 51st Session of the ACHPR, NANHRI held a regional workshop for African NHRIs on the reporting process to the ACHPR and the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC).
- A consultative meeting for African NHRIs was held at the margins of the 54th Ordinary Session of the ACHPR themed: “The Role of National Human Rights Institutions in Enhancing a Human Rights Culture in Africa” was held in 2013 at the margins of the sessions of the ACHPR.
- Guidelines for reporting by NHRIs to the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights have been developed, finalized (insert year) and circulated to African NHRIs for onward use.
- African NHRIs have expressed the desire to create a platform (in the form of an NHRI forum at the margins of the sessions of the African Commission) to enable discussions about the improvement of the relationship between the NHRIs and the African Commission.
- In 2015, the Network of African National Human Rights Institutions (NANHRI) in collaboration with Open Society Foundation (through the Open Society Justice initiative) and the Human Rights Implementation Centre of the University of Bristol organized a training workshop for African NHRIs on their role in monitoring the implementation of decisions of African Human Rights Bodies.
Paparticipants following a presentation during the workshop in Banjul, Gambia